Thursday, May 20, 2010

Why make it a big deal? (For those who make it a big deal.)

Assalamualaikum, Peace be upon you...

Three days ago me and my brother were watching TV. I don't remember what it was about, but suddenly out of the blue my brother said that the phrase "god bless you" can only be used by Christians 'cos it's a Christian phrase. He added that Muslims nowadays use "god bless you" instead of "barakallah".... SO?


And then I thought that... why is it such an issue? Barakallah means god bless you and no matter how you turn it around, it'll end up the same. Why on earth would people make such a big deal out of these stuff? What if the Muslim was a native Italian speaker, or a Chinese speaker... and what if they don't know how to communicate in Arabic? What IF, they really couldn't find any words to describe their gratitude to somebody and instead of finding the right phrase to squeeze in the word "Barakallah", they end up saying god bless you. 

Okay, take this phrase as an example.

A Christian: I thank god for this sunny day.

A Muslim: I thank god for this sunny day.

Now, the Christian meant his god. Which god, I don't know 'cos they have three gods for all I care. And the Muslim meant his god, Allah.

BUT!

Doesn't it show how the two meant differently? Would you say that the Muslim was thanking the Christian's god, instead of thanking Allah, JUST BECAUSE he didn't say Allah? 

You might want to sit on that far corner of your room and think about it again. My last words:

DON'T JUST STATE SOMETHING WITHOUT KNOWING THE TRUE MEANING OF IT


















 

No comments:

Post a Comment